Line (group communications on-the-go)
- Line is the app that pilots use for field communications where radio/texting/calling won't cut it. It is great for flying/travel coordination and it's free! It is a Chat/Skype/IM type of app that has gained excellent ground over the past couple of years.
It is especially helpful for novices and visiting pilots who don't necessarily know who the active pilots are and when/where they are going.
OSA chose line because of it's:
- All smartphone/tablet platforms covered
- Acceptance (100,000 users in its first 8 months means it is well supported and will not be shutting down soon)
- Group chat capabilities (trickier with texting)
- Board section for posting longer term reference items
- Comm formats (Text/Voice/Image/Video/Geo-location)
- As an app, you can choose to turn on/off notifications so it is not invasive.
- Easy to use.
Pilots who want to Join an Existing Line Group
You will need to know the name of the Group Creator (ie: FLYOK here in the Okanagan - PILOTS only) or one of the current members. Search and request from the creator the group you wish to be in (ie: FlyOKPG or FlyOKHG - for pilots only, here in the Okanagan.) Follow the steps below, substituting your group creator's name (note: PILOTS ONLY! Spammers will be refused):
How do I use it and what for?
**If you don't have a smartphone, the pilot next to you probably will so don't be afraid to ask them to post or check something for you.
**There is a geolocation option but it is not very accurate. Use the Glympse App (details on the Resource Tools Page) for that function.
To Create a New Line Group
You will need to decide the name of the Group Creator Account (ie: FLYOK here in the Okanagan). Then decide on the name(s) of the group(s)(ie: FlyOKPG and FlyOKHG chat groups here in the Okanagan. We have chosen to keep PG and HG separate and bi-wingual pilots just subscribe to both. Smaller clubs may just have one group. Follow the steps below, substituting your group creator's name and group names:
That's it! If you have any issues or questions, you can contact me at FlyOKIT@gmail.com
Template Member Response:
You are now in the <entername> group. Be sure to hit the Join button to complete the invite. You can turn off notifications for Line when not able to fly and turn on when interested.
Use the plus sign left of the text entry box to send photos and other stuff. If a reply is not for the group the tap a person's avatar to chat directly to them
Cheers & Welcome.